January in photos from our team in the field:
In this Edition
- Get the best results from Broadway Star
- Relax and get up to date on Arylex active!
- Weed control in spring cereals
Get the best results from Broadway Star
Achieving high levels of grass weed control in Winter Wheat is an obvious priority and Broadway® Star is a well-established product delivering control of brome, ryegrass and wild oats with the bonus of a wide range of broad-leaved weeds including cleavers and cranesbill. Furthermore, the active ingredients in Broadway Star are short-lived in soil and plant material meaning following crops such as OSR can be grown without deep cultivation and without fear of reducing the vigour of the establishing OSR.
Choosing the right product for the situation is obviously key to achieving high levels of control but it is also worth making sure that there is attention to detail when it comes to actually using the product. Below outlines three areas worth considering when making your Broadway Star application this spring:
- Timing your application
- Weed size: Make sure the grass weeds are not too big, for brome this is 4 tillers, beyond this size control can be compromised.
- Weather: A dry leaf and conditions for active growth are necessary for good control.
- Stress: Broadway Star should be applied to healthy crops, not stressed crops (nutrient stress, waterlogging etc).
- Adding a partner product
- Dow AgroSciences has carried out testing on Broadway Star with a number of T0 fungicides, use our tank mix lists to find out what we support.
- Broadway Star is contact acting herbicide and for that reason grass weeds that germinate after the application will not be controlled. Extensive trials work by Dow AgroSciences has shown the addition of a residual herbicide such as pendimethalin (e.g. Stomp Aqua) with the Broadway Star, before the end of February, works to control grass weeds germinating after application.
- Finally remember to always use an adjuvant (our tank mix list has details of recommended products link)
- Actual spraying
- Ensure good mixing. Decant the product steadily into the sprayer/induction bowl thus avoiding ‘lumps’ of product forming
- Use a Conventional Flat Fan, Variable Pressure Flat Fan or Twin Fluid nozzles
- Apply in 130-150 l/ha using a Fine to Medium spray quality
- Ensure boom height is correct and appropriate forward speed chosen
Relax and get up to date on ArylexTM active!
At a time where it is more common to hear about active ingredients being withdrawn from the market, Dow AgroSciences is bucking the trend by introducing a brand new active ingredient: ArylexTM active.
Arylex is a new member of the synthetic auxin group of herbicides and in its own unique class within the group. Arylex containing products such as PixxaroTM EC are approved for both winter and spring wheat and barley. Arylex boasts a wide range of features that can benefit the farmer.
- Arylex rapidly controls a wide range of weeds, including cleavers, cranesbill, fumitory and poppy.
- The active ingredient has a unique ability to work in all conditions including cold, wet and dry, such conditions typically compromise the effectiveness of other herbicides.
- Arylex products can be applied safely to a crop from early growth stages through to booting.
- Arylex does not persist in soil or plant material, giving unrivalled flexibility for following crops.
Overall this active ingredient gives farmers that all important peace of mind – so remember:
Relax, It’s Arylex.
Weed control in spring cereals
Last year we saw a 6% increase in the area of spring barley being grown. Much of this increase was seen on farms that traditionally were not big growers of spring cereals. Looking forward to 2017 this trend looks to continue, driven by many factors but not least grass weed challenges.
Weed control in spring cereals is increasingly based on the use of a flufenacet residual such as Liberator (DFF and flufenacet) or Crystal (PDM and flufenacet) and following this with a post-em herbicide such as Spitfire®, Pixxaro or Starane® Hi-Load to control broad-leaved weeds. Spitfire should be applied around mid-tillering of the crop to control brassica weeds, mayweeds, hemp nettle and black bindweed and cleavers. In other situations poppy, fumitory, fat hen and cranesbill can come through and in this situation Pixxaro provides outstanding control. Both Spitfire and Pixxaro have wide windows of application, can be mixed with other inputs such as fungicides, PGRs, trace elements and contact graminicides and can be followed by most major crops without the need for any specific cultivations. Pixxaro has an added benefit of being able to be mixed with a graminicide such as Axial.
For more regular updates on agronomic issues, find us on Twitter and Facebook!
If you require any further information please contact our Technical Hotline on 0800 689 8899 or your local Dow AgroSciences representative.
Use plant protection products safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
Pay attention to the Risk Indication and follow the Safety Precautions on the label.
® ™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company (“Dow”) or an affiliated company of Dow.
All other brand names are trademarks of other manufacturers for which proprietary rights may exist.
Broadway Star contains florasulam and pyroxsulam
Pixxaro EC contains halauxifen-methyl (Arylex active) and fluroxypyr
Spitfire contains fluroxypyr and florasulam
Starane Hi-Load contains fluroxypyr
More information can be found at uk.dowagro.com
Dow AgroSciences Limited, CPC2, Capital Park, Fulbourn, Cambridge, CB21 5XE. Tel: +44 (0) 1462 457272.
Pixxaro® EC is a new herbicide for the control of broad-leaved weeds in winter and spring cereals, based on the innovative active ingredient Arylex™ Active (halauxifen-methyl) developed by Dow AgroSciences and registered in the UK in 2015. The new product also contains fluroxypyr, the active substance in Starane®. Arylex™ Active delivers a new standard for dependable, flexible weed control and Pixxaro EC is the first in a long line of products to contain this active.
Pixxaro EC is a spring applied, wide spectrum, broad-leaved weed herbicide, giving reliable control across a range of weather conditions and crop growth stages. Pixxaro EC provides robust control of key weeds such as poppy, fumitory, fat hen, cranesbill, cleavers and chickweed.
Why Use Pixxaro EC?
- Reliable broad-leaved weed control across all weather conditions and a wide application window
- Giving you greater flexibility on the timing of application
- Excellent control of a wide range of broad leaved weeds in winter and spring cereals – superior activity compared to sulfonyl-urea products on;
- Dead nettles, fumitory, fat hen, cleavers, volunteer beans
- ALS resistant chickweed, poppy
- Non ALS chemistry = no restrictions = flexibility
- Excellent crop selectivity in winter and spring cereals
- No rotational restrictions
- No cultivations required before sowing most crops
- No restrictions on straw use or management
- Excellent tank mix compatibility including: graminicides, PGRs, fungicides and trace elements
For more information on Arylex™ Active, please click here.