The best time to tackle dock infestations in silage crops is before first cut according to Andy Bailey, grassland agronomy specialist for Dow AgroSciences. “There are three good reasons for spraying docks in grass in early to mid-April,” says Mr. Bailey. “Firstly killing them now allows the grass time to spread into the gaps they […]
A grassland herbicide will not cure the underlying problems but will help renovate the pasture to a more productive level for a period of time.
Knapsack control works out more cost-effective if weed populations are below 5% (count number of docks and/or thistles in a 5m x 7m area – this number gives the % weed population).
Choose a product that will deliver a:
- High level of safety so grass growth is unaffected
- Grazing interval that is short so animals can return back to paddocks quickly
- High level of grass safety so grass growth is unaffected.
Common weed problems
Leatherjackets and frit fly can both cause major damage in grassland. Dursban WG at 1.0 Kg/ha or Equity at 1.5 L/ha will provide excellent control of both pests. They can be used on permanent pastures and new leys, and have a wide compatability list for any tank mixing, including Forefront T, DoxstarPRO and Pastor.
Ensure that when using with a conventional boom sprayer, a LERAP three-star low-drift nozzle is used, with a 20 metre no-spray buffer zone beside watercourses.
Common pest problems
If you would like to receive the latest information direct to your inbox, make sure that you sign up to our newsletters by completing the form below. For examples of the most recent newsletters, click on the links – Grassweed Emergence Monitor, Wheat Bulb Fly Pestwatch, and Kerb Weather Data. For more regular updates on […]
Introducing the new Dow AgroSciences’ Grassland Weed App. An easy to use tool to help get a fix on cost of weeds in grassland and identify solutions for their removal. The app will be FREE and will be ready Mid April to download on iPhone/iPad and Android.
- Can I still use Pastor in a knapsack?
- GrazonPro (MAPP 15785) has full recommendation for handheld, spot treatment and knapsack use. The updated label for Pastor (MAPP 11168) is for application through a tractor mounted hydraulic sprayer.
- What products do Dow AgroSciences recommend to control brambles in grassland?
- GrazonPro can be applied to control perennial weeds, including brambles.Brambles should be sprayed between June and August, when plants are actively growing, but before plants begin to senesce in the autumn.It is essential that all foliage is thoroughly wetted or incomplete kill may result. The maximum concentration must not exceed 60ml of GrazonPro per 10 litres of water.
- What products will control dandelion in grassland?
- Although not a label recommendation, DoxstarPro, Forefront T and Pastor may all offer good control of dandelions. Ideally apply pre-flowering.
- Can farmers sell manure/compost/slurry from animals fed on aminopyralid-treated grass/hay/silage?
- No. Manure produced from these animals must stay on the farm.
- How long does it take for manure/slurry to break down?
- Once spread on the soil, this will be dependent upon many different factors such as soil type, temperature, aeration of the soil, compaction etc. Therefore, it is impossible to give a timescale as each situation will be different. Ensure that all plant remains have completely decayed before planting sensitive crops.
- What about the manure/compost/slurry from animals fed on grass (grazed grass, silage, hay) that has been treated with aminopyralid?
- FOREFRONT T must only be applied to established grassland intended for grazing in the calendar year of application.Manure or slurry from animals fed on grass treated with aminopyralid must stay on farm and can only be spread onto grassland.Where silage, hay or haylage is produced from this area in the following calendar year, it must stay on the farm and any manure subsequently produced from animals fed on this must stay on the farm. This manure should only be spread onto agricultural grassland.DO NOT use plant material treated with Forefront T for composting or mulching.
- What is the cutting interval after spraying weeds in grassland?
- After application of our products leave a minimum of three weeks before cutting to allow maximum translocation of the active ingredients down to the roots of weeds.
- What is the stock exclusion period for hens?
- The same as for livestock: seven days and until foliage of any poisonous weeds such as ragwort has died and become unpalatable.
- Why can I not use agricultural products; they have the same active ingredients?
- It is true that agricultural products and non-crop products often share the same active ingredients. However, the products sold in to non-crop areas very often have totally different formulations, designed to be safe to turf for example. Additionally, specific trials are done in non-crop areas to make sure the products are effective and safe in the area of use in which they are applied. Finally, it is illegal to apply a product that is not approved for a particular area of use.
- What is the best Dow grassland product for cow parsley control?
- GrazonPro offers good control of cow parsley when used at the rosette stage. It is for spot treatment only.Forefront T and Pastor can be applied through tractor mounted hydraulic sprayers. Forefront T offers moderate control of cow parsley. Forefront T use is limited to grass grazed by cattle and sheep only. Although not as effective at Forefront T, Pastor offers some control of cow parsley.