Thistlex® is a very effective translocated product for both creeping and spear thistle. It is very safe to grass.
Thistles need controlling because they:
- compete with grass for space, light, nutrients and water
- are unpalatable to stock
- lead to greater incidence of Orf
- reduce the available grazing
Use Thistlex because:
- It gives outstanding control of creeping thistle and spear thistle
- It gives up to 85% control 12 months after application
- It also has activity on common nettle and dandelion
- Thistlex does not hold back grass growth after application.
Maximise success – do it with PRIDE
The combination of clopyralid and triclopyr maximises activity on thistles giving excellent lasting control.
Apply between 1st March and 31st October. Use once per year at a rate of 1.0 L/ha in a water volume of 200 L/ha. Use higher water volumes up to 400 L/ha where thistle numbers are high or the grass sward dense. Reducing water volume, to speed up spraying operations, leads to poorer long-term control of thistles.
Use on grazing grassland or silage, hay or haylage ground.
Take stock out during spraying then return no sooner than 7 days later.
Once sprayed, wait a minimum of 3 weeks prior to any planned cutting to maximise translocation into the thistle roots.
Thistlex is not approved for use by hand-held equipment, e.g. knapsack or lance. Choose GrazonPro for these uses.
Target actively growing plants in the rosette stage and up to 200mm across or high. If larger than this consider topping and spraying the regrowth 2-3 weeks later.
Avoid treating weeds suffering from waterlogging, drought stress or cold stress. Thistlex is LERAP B, meaning a 5 metre area must be left unsprayed next to a flowing or static waterbody, or 1 metre unsprayed near dry ditches.